The state Fire Marshal's Office and the Swampcott Fire Department said the fire investigation team determined that the house blaze started on the kitchen stove.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Swampscott Fire Chief Kevin F. Breen said the cause of this morning’s fire at 50 Andrews Road, Swampscott was accidental. The investigative team has determined that the fire started at the stove. Whether the occupants inadvertently left the stove on or the dog accidentally turned it on “counter surfing” as this dog sometimes did, cannot be known. No one was home at the time of the fire and no people were injured. Sadly, the pet perished. Damages are estimated at $250,000-$300,000. The fire was jointly investigated by the State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the Swampscott Fire Department with assistance from the Lynn Fire Department.