- On Saturday from 9 to noon at the Marblehead Veterans Middle School 217 Pleasant Street — enter from Vine Street — is the Marblehead Farmers' Market.
- On Sunday at Swampscott High School from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. is the Swampscott Farmers' market.
- Castleberry Fair. This popular Arts and Crafts Fair is back for it's 3rd year at Linscott Park across from Town Hall in Swampscott on Saturday September 7 from 10-5 and Sunday September 8th from 10-4. Admission is free. Rain or Shine.
- On Friday, September 6. the me&thee kicks off the fall season with Slaid Cleaves. Doors open at 7:30 PM for this 8:00 PM show at the me&thee coffeehouse which is located at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Marblehead at 28 Mugford Street. Slaid’s sparse story: grew up in Maine; lives in Texas; writes songs; makes records; travels around; tries to be good. Twenty years into his career, the celebrated songwriter’s latest release Still Fighting the War spotlights an artist in peak form. Maine’s Putnam Smith, who opens the show is an acclaimed singer-songwriter and a do-it-yourselfer to the core, even prints his own CD cases on a century-old letterpress obtained and refurbished for that very purpose.
- The Stetson Art Gallery in the Unitarian Universalist Church of Marblehead reopens Sunday, September 8, with “My HeART,” an exhibit of new works by versatile Marblehead artist Holly Aloha Jaynes. An opening reception will be held from Noon-2 p.m. The new art in Holly Aloha Jaynes’ exhibit consists primarily of collages, depicting subjects of value and interest to the artist. Jaynes experiments with a wide variety of media from rust, fabric, ruined photos, images and painted papers, combining different texture, colors, or images to see how an original idea may be transformed to create something totally unexpected, expanding the imagination.
- At the Abbot Public Library "Gardens: Cultivated and Wild," Black and White and Hand-Painted Photographs by Gail Giarrusso Wednesday, September 4th through Monday, September 30th Public Reception: Sunday, September 8th, 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm Gail Giarrusso has been photographing and printing her own photographs for thirty years. At the Abbot Public Library in Marblehead "Pecheur de lune":Photographs by Natalie Borden Saturday, Aug. 3 through Saturday, Aug. 31
Marblehead Arts Association ExhibitsAugust 31–October 6
Opening Reception, Sunday, September 8, 2–4pm
The Marblehead Arts Association is pleased to announce the opening of its latest exhibit on Saturday, August 31, at the King Hooper Mansion at 8 Hooper Street. Following an opening reception on Sunday, September 8, from 2 to 4 pm, the exhibit will remain open until October 8.
Featured artists will be Rich Grote and Anthony Padula, of Marblehead, Paul McMahan of Chelsea, Ilona Gelpey of Danvers and Melissa Kornfeld of Salem. The “Meet the Artist” wall will feature Anita Cohen of Newton.
- Parents who want to go out Saturday night and need someone to care for their children will find that at Burke's Tumbling Academy where Swampscott cheerleaders will host activities for the kids.
THE SWAMPSCOTT VARSITY
CHEERLEADERS ARE HOSTING
"HAPPY BACK TO SCHOOL
PARENTS NIGHT OUT" AT
BURKE'S TUMBLING ACADEMY9/7/13 FROM 6-9 PM
If you know of other events going on this weekend add them to the comments and post them in our events calendar.