1) Newsbit of the Day: The Metropolitan Area Planning Council will present its draft vision as well as recommendations for land use, economic development and transportation for downtown Swampscott on Monday, Dec. 17, at 6 pm in the main meeting room of the Swampscott Public Library, 61 Burrill St.
To help develop the recommendations, MAPC held a forum with businesses in Swampscott with help from the Lynn Area Chamber of Commerce as well as a community workshop with residents and officials to gain additional feedback.
If you didn’t get a chance to take part in the previous forum or workshop, there’s still time. Attendees at this presentation on Dec. 17 will be welcome to comment on the draft vision and recommendations presented at the meeting. The meeting is open to the public and all are welcome.
The study area includes the downtown portion of Humphrey Street, the MBTA railroad station area, and the Burrill Street connection between these two areas. The study was done through a District Local Technical Assistance program grant which the Planning Board was awarded earlier this year. The program is made available through the state’s regional planning agencies and supports zoning and regionalization projects that support sustainable community development.
2) Swampscott Scholars: Swampscott High Class of 2012 graduate Sam Gold received the Patrons of Performing Students Piano Scholarship.
3) A bit of Cassatt (Mary): "Americans have a way of thinking work is nothing. Come out and play they say."
4) Weather Watch: The National Weather Service is forecasting a sunny day. High near 40.
5) Business Listing Watch: VIDEO:
Businesses: Time to Claim Your Listing on Patch! It's Free! And Comes With Extra Cheese!
Business owners can claim listings in Patch Places to better promote their business and inform readers.