2013 promises major change in Swampscott.
And the town may opt for more change in the coming months.
These changes, and possible changes, make up our list of items to watch.
1. What will the recommendation be for meeting the town's elementary school needs?
In October at a special town meeting, . The study was expected to take 6-9 months. Expectations are that the study will recommend a consolidated school. But, if this is the case, what will the particulars be and when will it go to the public for a vote?
2. The changing face of Humphrey Street.
Building projects are scheduled to become operational or habitable: the new Swampscott Police Station; the new Gateway Building; and the Concordia Condos.
3. Will the town create a historical district to preserve the Humphrey Street area's historical character?
Look for a public hearing and town meeting proposal on a historical district in 2013.
4. What will the town do about flood control?
Retention pond dredging at Tedesco is expected by spring. But what recommendations will arise from the drainage study of lower Paradise Road?
5. Will town meeting include a proposal to resolve the town's athletic field needs?