Selectmen on Wednesday will consider filling a vacant police officer position.
Police Chief Ron Madigan told selectmen at their last meeting that the appointment would save the town money in overtime costs.
He said in an interview that having a full complement of officers, as opposed to filling the slot with overtime, makes a force a stronger team.
The town spent an estimated $15,000 to $20,000 more in overtime costs than what it would have spent on an officer's salary, Town Administrator Tom Younger said.
The additional spending, however, does not take into account expenses for an additional officer's pension and health insurance costs.
Health insurance for an employee costs the town between $6,000 and $12,000 per year.
Selectmen cut a patrolman's position about a year ago.
Other agenda items include setting the water and sewer rates for the coming fiscal year and an executive session. Below is a copy of the draft agenda.
- To discuss the reputation, character, physical condition or mental health, rather than professional competence, of an individual, or discuss the discipline or dismissal of, or complaints or charges against a public officer, employee, staff member or individual.
- A public hearing for the purpose of setting the FY2014 water and sewer rates.
- Appointment of Steve Simmons as Constable to Post Warrants alternate.
- Re-Appointment of Dave Castellarin as Assistant Town Administrator.
- Vote to authorize filling vacant police officer position.
- Assign a liaison to the Traffic Study Committee.
- Whales Beach signage .
VOTES OF THE BOARD:
- Approval of a request from Vanessa Malfitano of the Muscular Dystrophy Association to hold their annual Halloween Witch Ride to be held on Sunday, October13, 2013, starting at 10AM pending approval by the Swampscott Police Department .
- Approval of a request from Joe Bennet from the Swampscott High School class of 2014, to hang banners advertising “ A Taste of Swampscott “
- Approval of a one day liquor permit for the Friends of the Swampscott Public Library for a wine, cheese and chocolate event as a fundraiser to be held on Saturday, November 16, 2013, from 7:30-10PM.
- Approval of a request from the Friends of the Swampscott Public Library to put a sign up on the Town green at the corner of Monument Avenue and Burrill Street to advertise their yearly book sale from September 9, 2013 through September 23, 2013.
- Approval of meeting minutes from June 19, 2013.
New & Old Business:
TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT: