Fire spread from the basement to the kitchen at Tides Restaurant and Pub early Tuesday morning.
The Nahant Fire Department got the call at 2:38 a.m., and, responding to the fire in two minutes, had it under control at 3:22 a.m., a fire department spokesman said.
Swampscott and Marblehead firefighters assisted at the scene and Lynn firefighters provided station coverage.
The fire originated in the basement of the Wilson Road establishment and rose through the walls to the kitchen, the spokesman said.
The restaurant was closed on Tuesday. Plywood patched openings on the roof and other areas opened up by firefighters to ventilate and fight the fire.
The Tides is a popular area restaurant with lots of local employees.
It's unknown how long the restaurant will remain closed. Patch will report this information when it becomes available.