Come join the Travis Manion Foundation in a 5K run to honor Heroes on Sept. 9, at 10 am at.
The 2012 9/11 Heroes Run is bringing communities together throughout the country and around the world. Our goal is to never forget the sacrifices of all of the Heroes of September 11th - veteran, first responder, military, and civilian. We honor the fallen by challenging the living.
This is a run for charity with 50 percent of race proceeds being donated directly back to local 501(c)(3)'s whom also strive to honor the fallen, or those who continue to serve our country every day for our freedoms and safety.
- 5K: $25 for an individual
- Family: $60 for a family of 4 (must include at least one adult and children must be under 18 years old - members can participate in their choice of distance: 5K or 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk)
- Team: If you would like to register as a team, it's easy! The first member to sign up can create a team name when filling out their information, then everyone else can simply select the team name from a drop down menu during the registration process when they register individually on their own!
- Race Day Registration begins at 8:30am
- Parking: on the street in area
To register visit the Travis Manion website
The local race organizer is Elizabeth Kausek, who grew up on Stanwood Road.
Kausek is a distant relative of Travis Manion, a US Marine who was killed by an enemy sniper in Iraq on his final patrol mission on Sunday, April 29, 2007. Manion was defending against an ambush.
Kausek has been running the Marine Corps Marathon for the Manion Foundation ever since his death, she said.
Manion joined the Marines in response to the 9/11 terror attacks against the United States. He visited Ground Zero, meeting many of the first responders, before his final deployment to Iraq.
Last year more than 50,000 people in 29 U.S. cities and 8 international locations came out to run, volunteer, donate, cheer... and most of all HONOR the Fallen.