Here are five things to know Jan. 14, 2013 in Swampscott:
1) Town and School Meeting Watch: The Recreation Commission meets tonight at 7:30. Agenda items include field use permit fees, winter carnival and the Easter egg hunt.
2) Newsbit of the Day: Tonight the Planning Board will review letters from people interested in being on the Zoning Bylaw Review Subcommittee and select its members. The subcommittee will be an advisory group. Members will review zoning bylaws and recommend any changes to the zoning regulations. The board meets at 7 at the Swampscott Senior Center.
3) Swampscott Scholars: Swampscott High Class of 2012 graduate Katherine Zarinsky received the Swampscott High School Class of 1950 Scholarship, in memory of classmates: Jill Bradley MacCormack, Robert Allen and Alex Kurpes.
4) Weather Watch: A slight chance of showers before noon. Areas of fog before 11 am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 50.
5) Big Blue Watch: The girls basketball team plays Peabody at home at 7 Tuesday while the boys team travels to Peabody for a game at 7. The Big Blue swimmers will be in the pool at Salem State against Salem High on Tuesday, as well. The meet is at 6:30.