Here are five things to know for the opening day of 2013 in Swampscott:
1) Join or Watch the Polar Bear Plunge: The 7th annual Swampscott Yacht Club Polar Bear Plunge is this morning at Fisherman's Beach. Sign in begins at 10:15 a.m. with the icy dip at 11 a.m. Proceeds benefit the family of Dave Whelan.
2) Newsbit of the Day: The Board of Selectmen’s meetings will start at 7 p.m. beginning with this week's meeting, Wednesday, Jan. 2.
3) Swampscott Scholars: Swampscott High Class of 2012 graduate Alexandra Chasse received the Morton Sheinman and Elaine Sheinman Hoffman Memorial Scholarship.
4) Weather Watch: Sunny, with a high near 37. West wind 16 to 20 mph with gusts reaching 30 mph.
5) Big Blue Watch: The boys varsity hockey team is back in action Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. against rival Salem. The game will be at Salem State.