Here are five things to know Jan. 9, 2013 in Swampscott:
1) Town and School Meeting Watch: The ZBA meets at 7 p.m. at the Swampscott Senior Center tonight, and the Swampscott School Committee meets at 7 p.m. at Swampscott High School in Room B208.
2) Newsbit of the Day: Diane Knopf tells us Cohen Hillel Academy’s 8th grade physics class, taught by Dr. Lindsey Polizzotti, took a unique approach to learn about air resistance and gravity by going indoor skydiving at SkyVenture in Nashua, NH. This field trip provided the students with an outstanding opportunity to learn through a fun and exciting experience. The students used math and physics to predict their terminal velocity before flying, and analyzed the forces after flying. The students can now truly comprehend how air resistance is affected by speed and surface area.
3) Swampscott Scholars: Swampscott High Class of 2012 graduate Andrew Baker received the Swampscott Gridiron Club Scholarship.
4) Weather Watch: Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
5) Big Blue Watch: The boys and girls track teams have a home meet at 4 pm against Gloucester, the boys varsity basketball team plays Beverly at home at 7, girls varsity basketball plays Beverly away at 7 and the boys hockey team plays an away game against Rockport at 8 p.m. (the game is in the O'Malley rink in Gloucester).