1) Newsbit of the Day: Today we turn our attention to all things presidential, it being the day we Americans go to the polls to elect the next president.
A major Swampscott historical connection to the presidency is White Court, now Marian Court College, where President Calvin Coolidge and his wife, Grace, had their Summer White House.
In 1925, at the suggestion of Mrs. Coolidge, the First Lady and President Calvin Coolidge stayed at White Court in Swampscott, to be near the senior Coolidge who was ailing, according to the Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation.
According to the website Mrs. Coolidge "regretted her choice as Coolidge found nothing in the leisure choices for his tastes, even though she was pleased with the gardens and swimming opportunities."
"The summer executive offices were three miles away in Lynn. Entertaining took place at White Court or on the presidential yacht, the Mayflower, which was anchored nearby. They attended church at the Congregational Tabernacle at Salem, the website states.
"White Court was a long rambling white house with its lawn stretching to the rocky coast. There were swimming pools and ocean bathing as well as lovely gardens."
2) Swampscott Scholars: 2012 Swampscott High graduate Luciano Rex received the Flora Boynton McLearn Memorial Scholarship.
3) Bit of Abe (Lincoln): "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
4) Weather Watch: The National Weather Service is calling for a sunny day with a high near 43.
5) Business Listing Watch: VIDEO: Businesses: Time to Claim Your Listing on Patch! It's Free! And Comes With Extra Cheese!
Business owners can claim listings in Patch Places to better promote their business and inform readers.