The Swampscott High juniors are sitting in the school cafeteria where on Oct. 14 from 1-3:30 p.m. a few hundred people are expected to sample everything from pizza and soups to high-end cuisine.
Twenty-seven or more restaurants will serve their specialties at the second annual an event that benefits the Class of 2014.
They are an ambitious group, this Class of 2014, and include a good many leaders and organizers.
They crowd around a cafeteria table on this school day, filling all the seats shortly after lunch. They talk about their latest event and work on behalf of their classmates.
A few things are clear. They plan well, work together and like new ideas.
They have hosted minor fundraisers such as car washes and babysitting stints, and major fundraisers such as the wildly successful Pizza Wars and the first Taste of Swampscott — which brought in $7,800.
From all their events they have raised more than $20,000.
The classmates plan to use the proceeds to help pay for their junior prom and senior week events.
Yes, they want to host memorable events at nice places but, ultimately, they want to use the money to reduce the cost of the events so all their classmates can take part regardless of their money situation.
Junior class members Angela Baldacci, Kelsey Lombard, Danielle Mayblyum, Austin Sagan and Jacqui Walsh said last year's Taste of Swampscott was a success and they are working to make this year's Taste a winner too.
There are seven more restaurants than least year's line-up. But like last year
there will be something for everyone and a chance, for one admission price, to
try food from many restaurants.
Class Advisor Joe Bennett said the restaurants will be bringing plenty of food so
people should bring an appetite.
He encourages diners to buy their tickets online at www.atasteofswampscott.org
The class will also be raffling items including a motor scooter.
A Taste of Swampscott includes the following restaurants:
- Bistro-At-Home in Winthrop - http://www.bistro-at-home.com/index.php
- The Blue Ox in Lynn - 2009 Best of Boston!http://www.theblueoxlynn.com/
- Caffe' Paolina in Swampscott - http://www.caffepaolina.com/
- Casa Molina in Lynn - http://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-molina-lynn
- Cupcakes by NeeNee in Lynn -http://www.facebook.com/cakesbyneenee
- Dunkin' Donuts in Swampscott - http://www.yelp.com/biz/dunkin-donuts-swampscott-2
- Edible Arrangements in Lynn - http://www.ediblearrangements.com/
- Fantasy Island in Salem - http://fantasyislandsalem.com/
- Five Guys in Swampscott - http://www.fiveguys.com/
- Hungry Betty'sBar andGrille in Marblehead -http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hungry-Bettys-Bar-and-Grille/133636746694036
- Joey D's in Marblehead - http://marblehead.patch.com/articles/joey-d-s-opens-on-pleasant-street
- Kelly's Roast Beef - http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/
- Lincoln's Landing in Swampscott -http://www.udine4less.com/lincolnslanding/
- Lynn Meatland in Lynn - http://www.lynnmeatland.com/
- New England Soup Factory in Salem - http://nesoupfactorysalem.com/
- Paradiso Ristorante in Swampscott -http://www.paradiso.bz/#13469434934591&true
- Pesce Pazzo in Revere - http://www.yelp.com/biz/pesce-pazzo-revere
- Periwinkles Food Shoppe in Salem - http://www.periwinklesinc.com/
- The New Yorker Deli in Salem - http://www.thenewyorkerdeliinc.com/
- Rolly's Tavern on the Square in Lynn - Boston Globe Magazine Top 45 Sandwich in 2011! http://www.rollystavern.com/
- Red Rock Bistro in Swampscott - http://www.redrockbistro.com/
- Swampscott High School Cafeteria
- Sweet Life Confections in Swampscott -http://www.sweetlifeconfections.com/page/page/2880844.htm
- Swizzles Frozen Yogurt in Swampscott - http://www.swizzlesyogurt.com/
- Tatiana's in Lynn - http://tatianasrestaurant.net/
- Tennessee BBQ in Peabody, Braintree, and Framingham -http://www.tennesseesbbq.com/index.html
- Terry's Ice Cream in Marblehead - http://www.terrysicecreamshop.com/
- Tony Lena's in Swampscott - 2nd place winner in the North Shore Pizza War!
- Yan's China Bistro in Swampscott - http://www.yansbistro.com/