Hockey Tourney Journey: Interview With Coach Gino Faia
Big Blue plays Medway 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Chelmsford Forum.
Here is an interview with Big Blue hockey Coach Gino Faia after his team claimed the North Div. 3 champs with a dramatic 3-2 win against Bedford on Saturday.
Senior Captain Trevor Massey got the first goal. And as time was running out on your Big Blue, senior Captain Chris Carman got the equalizer followed by the shot that brought down the house by junior Nunzio Morretti with just six seconds to go.
1. Patch: What did you tell the kids when you called time-out with (3:14) to go, down 2-1? How did they manage to score and tie the game when Bedford had fallen back in defensive mode?
Coach Faia: We called timeout at 3:14 to give the guys we wanted on the ice a rest, basically told them there was plenty of time left and just to stay aggressive. The tying goal all started with a nice defensive zone effort by Robert Serino to get puck out of zone, then Trevor made nice pass to Chris Carman who was determined not to lose. He skated in and put puck on net from the left side and scored.
2. Patch: Your team continues to play hard no matter the score, even against MHD early in the season when they were down by a bunch of goals they kept at it trying to score. Why do you think this is? Is it part of the team's personality?
Coach Faia: These guys have never quit once in any game we've played this season. They are a determined group who believe in each other .
3. Patch: What are your thoughts about the upcoming game?
Coach Faia: Very excited we know the stakes are higher and the competition is only going to get tougher. We look forward to the challenge of keeping our "Journey through the Tourney" alive.
4. Patch: Looks like it is Big Blond all the way around. When did you go blond? What reaction have you been getting. Bet lots of laughs. What has been the kids' reactions been?
Coach Faia: I did my hair before the Bedford game. The guys were hoping I would do it but I don't think they thought I would go through with it. They were definitely surprised!
5. Patch: Did the team do anything special before Saturday's game like they did before the MHD game ( watch the movie Miracle)?
Coach Faia: The Massey family was once again generous enough to host team dinner with all the parents helping out with the food. Great team chemistry this year for sure.