5 Things You Need To Know Today: Aug. 17
From local history to local tides. Things to know in Swampscott on this summer day.
1) Weather Watch — The sun is back. National Weather Service forecasters are predicting a sunny day with a high temperature of about 77.
2) Tide Watch — Today's low tide is 8:06 am (0.22 feet). High tide is 2:22 pm (9.33 feet). The sun will rise at 5:52 am and set at 7:42 pm.
3) Lottery Numbers for Tuesday —
Powerball: 9-12-35-50-58 Powerball 4 Power Play x2
The Numbers Game:
Cash Winfall: 1-4-7-16-22-41
4) In Music History — In 1838, 138 singing teachers traveled to Boston, MA, to attend the first music convention. (From http://www.on-this-day.com)
5) 50 Years Ago in Swampscott, Aug. 17, 1961 — For the fourth time in two days firefighters were called to battle a brush fire. The extended dry period was starting to make the woods dangerous. Firefighters were sent to Forest Avenue and Capen Road on the 16th, 1961, to battle the most recent brush fire. (From Lynn Daily Item.)