5 Things You Need To Know Today: Aug. 16
From local history to local tides. Things to know in Swampscott on this summer day.
1) Weather Watch — National Weather Service forecasters are predicting showers early and a cloudy day with a high temperature of about 69.
2) Tide Watch — Today's low tide is 7:28 am (0.00 feet). High tide is 1:44 pm (9.34 feet). The sun will rise at 5:51 am and set at 7:43 pm.
3) Lottery Numbers for Monday —
Powerball: 9-12-35-50-58 Powerball 4 Power Play x2
Mega Millions: 9-43-51-54-55 Megaball 13 Megaplier x4
The Numbers Game:
4) In Music History — In 1977, Elvis Presley died at the age of 42 in Memphis, TN. He died of coronary arrhythmia. (From http://www.on-this-day.com)
5) 50 Years Ago in Swampscott, Aug. 16, 1961 — The cost for providing police protection at the town pier was estimated at $2,500 for the summer, according to Austin Mosco, administrative assistant for the Department of Public Works. The money was available but had not been included in the DPW budget because it wasn't decided until late spring that the DPW would have jurisdiction over the pier. (From Lynn Daily Item.)