5 Things You Need To Know Today: Aug. 10
From tides to history. Things to know in Swampscott on this summer day.
1) Weather Watch — National Weather Service forecasters are calling for scattered showers and thunderstorms before noon. Otherwise, the day is suppose to be mostly cloudy, with a high temperature near 79.
2) Tide Watch — Today's low tide is 3:02 pm (.81 feet). High tide is 9:28 pm (9.98 feet). The sun will rise at 5:44 am and set at 7:52 pm.
3) In Government — The Harbor Advisory Committee meets at 6:30 p.m. at Town Hall.
4) Lottery Numbers for Tuesday —
Powerball: 25-30-54-57-59 Powerball 6 Power Play x3
The Numbers Game:
5) 50 Years Ago in Swampscott, Aug. 10, 1961: Swampscott Civil Defense Director Forrest Mason announced that there was mounting interest from Swampscott residents concerned about protection from an atomic attack. Dozens of residents asked for pamphlets that describe actions to take in the event of a nuclear attack. He also received several calls about fallout shelters in town. (From Lynn Daily Item.)