5 Things to Know: Rep. Ehrlich Files Gas Leak Bill
The legislation is aimed at reducing natural gas leaks.
Here are five things to know Jan. 24, 2013 in Swampscott:
1) Town and School Meeting Watch: On Thursday at Town Hall the Harbor & Waterfront Advisory Committee meets at 6:30 PM in the first floor conference room and the Town Capital Improvements Committee meets at 7:30 PM in the second floor conference room.
2) Newsbit of the Day: After filing legislation for two prior sessions, Rep. Lori A. Ehrlich (D-Marblehead) has, for the third time, filed a bill aimed at reducing hazardous natural gas leaks, according to her office. "An Act enhancing natural gas pipeline safety (HD 1941) seeks to prevent explosions, which are often deadly, and reduce costs from waste of natural resource and damage to property," she stated in a news release. "Lost and unaccounted for natural gas from pipeline leaks cost Massachusetts’ ratepayers an estimated $38.8 million annually."
3) Swampscott Scholars: Swampscott High 2012 graduate D’Aaron Ennis received the Swampscott Rotary Scholarship.
4) Weather Watch: Sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -10. Blustery, with a northwest wind 14 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
5) Big Blue Watch: The Swampscott High boys and girls basketball teasm play against Salem on Friday. The girls play at home and the boys play on the road.